Over 36,000 people displaced due to floods in Libya
At least 30,000 people displaced in city of Derna alone, says International Organization for Migration
More than 36,000 people have been displaced due to floods in Libya, the UN migration agency said on Wednesday.
“At least 30,000 individuals displaced in Derna due to Storm Daniel, with 3,000 in Albayda, 1,000 in Almkheley, and 2,085 individuals still displaced in Benghazi,” the International Organization for Migration (IOM) Libya said on X social media platform.?
The UN agency estimated that the death toll since Sunday mounts to 2,000 with 5,000 people still missing.
“Storm Daniel caused significant infrastructure damage, including the road network, and disrupted the telecommunications network,” IOM said in a statement.?
Earlier on Wednesday, Saadeddin Abdul Wakil, the undersecretary of the unity government’s Health Ministry, told Anadolu that the death toll surged past 6,000, while thousands remain missing.
On Monday, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent put the figure of missing people at 10,000.
Torrential rains from Storm Daniel swept several areas on Sunday in eastern Libya, most notably Benghazi, Al-Bayda and Al-Marj, as well as Soussa and Derna.
Most Read News
-
California wildfire burns over 1,300 acres, thousands
-
Washington demands ‘major role’ in Greenland: Report
-
Russia, Ukraine report civilian casualties following
-
Israeli finance minister says ICC arrest warrant issued
-
Suspected Ukrainian drone shot down by NATO jet over
-
Under Israeli fire, southern Lebanon hospital races to s
-
Global Sumud Flotilla says Israeli army vessels
-
Italy prison overcrowding reaches 139%, suicides and








